The Snoworks Safari is an all day course we dreamt up 2 years ago, as with the geographical location in which we live & work, we are surrounded by numerous ski stations of varying size, yet always ski in the famous ‘Trois Valleys’. It was time to run an all day course to ski different stations, with a short commute each day, grab a day pass & coffee in each area on arrival & away we go.
This year we stayed in a quintessential French hotel in Brides-le-Bains. (Bozel for the last 2 years) This is conveniently located at the foot of the gondola station to whisk us up into Meribel to explore the 3 valleys.
With the snow conditions this year it was certain to be an amazing week & with the course running in January the ski areas where quieter thus easier to find awesome off-piste conditions.
- Monday we skied the 3 valleys, with 2 groups heading over to Courchevel & I made a beeline for a route off the back of ‘La Masse’ in Val Thorens.
- Tuesday we all made the short 45min transfer up to ‘Valmorel’ where after a recent snowfall we where spoilt with what can only be described as a private Snoworks powder field as we made 8 runs before lunch all from 1 drag lift getting fresh tracks every run! A-MAY-ZING….
- Wednesday we made the even shorter commute (20mins) up to Champagny to get the lift system to carry us into the huge ‘Paradiski’ region of La Plagne & les Arcs. Again here we where able to find easy access off-piste conditions suited to all 3 groups from levels 4 through to 6. Mike Barker with the level 4’s explored La Plagne, whilst Ben Silcocks & I with the 5’s & 6’s headed up to the Bellecote glacier, with my group ending the day with an epic route down the ‘Couloir Canadien’ on the ‘Face Nord de Bellecote’.
- Thursday was to be a longer journey (1hr 15) to La Clusaz, however we didn’t quite make it there! So skied the 3 valleys again.
- Friday, following 3 travel days we decided to return to the 3 valleys to finish the week as we had started, with the last run of the day being the 1000m decent all the way to the back door of the hotel in Brides! This can rarely be done, but was a fantastic finish to the week & a highlight to many. (Even the staff had never skied it before!)
Here are a few quotes from the clients that week, I asked them for these on the transfers back to the hotel after our day’s away-
“Best powder day in my life – EVER” Leighton Williams
“Best powder ski day, skiing untracked snow at midday!” Diane Ouzman
“Awesome powder, brilliant week” Yousuf Khan
“Used every muscle-smiled all day” Anne Mcconville
“Best powder day ever-skiing like heroes in thigh deep fluffy” David Griffin
“The best run to the end of any holiday, Meribel-Brides” Cathy Curling
“St Anton, then Brides-le-Bains ski safari, how many powder days???” David Mocatta
“Col de Madeleine provded powder & bush, awesome” Bruce Robinson
If this blog or video have enticed you, then please look out for the 2013 course calendar released soon, as due to it’s popularity we will be running 2 weeks of this course next year & with the possibility of new away day ski fields!
Click here to watch the short video on “You Tube”