Phil Smith Snoworks Ski Course Director reports on the magnificent Snoworks Tarentaise All Terrain Safari.
In one week you could have the opportunity to:
• Ski two of the biggest ski areas on the planet, The Espace Killy and Paradiski.
• Ski another three resorts in the same week, La Thuile, Rosiere and St Foy.
• Ski in two countries, France and Italy.
• Develop your all-terrain skills beyond recognition.
• Ski some amazing off piste backcountry routes.
• Experience exceptional powder.
• Dine on gourmet food.
• Be waited on by a team of hand picked chalet staff.
• Have your personal in-house ski tuner.
• Sip pre-dinner drinks in an outdoor hot tub.
• Have your own personal minibus service.
• Plus, ski with your very own Snoworks instructors guiding you around the best ski routes in the Tarentaise helping develop your all-terrain skills.
….and if that doesn’t tempt you. Take a quick look at a proposed itinerary. Don’t forget like all Snoworks itineraries these remain flexible to make the most of the prevailing snow and weather conditions and all routes described are pending appropriate weather and snow conditions.
ARRIVE SATURDAY 18TH JANUARY
Pick up from Geneva or Bourg St Maurice depending on whether you fly or go by train and be whisked up to the Chalet Auberge Sur La Montagne for a fabulous welcome gourmet meal. If you’ve taken the train, it’s a morning arrival at Bourg St Maurice, 15 minute shuttle to the Auberge and you can be skiing in St Foy for the day.
SUNDAY – ST FOY
Free ski warm up using the local lift system in St Foy. Unspoilt and uncrowded this is a mecca for off-piste skiing. When everywhere else is tracked out you can still be skiing fresh tracks. In the evening a welcome chat from the Snoworks Team and another gourmet meal at the Auberge.
MONDAY – LA ROSIERE, LA THUILE
A taste of Italy, It’s Cappuccinos & Pasta. Transport up to La Rosiere with a days skiing in and around Rosiere (France) and into La Thuile (Italy).
TUESDAY – ESPACE KILLY
Transfer up to the most famous ski area in the world, L’Espace Killy. Drop off in Brevieres and ski in and around Tignes and Val D’Isere. For those with limited off-piste experience, a day to work on the skills for all-terrain. For experienced all-mountain skiers you’ve got the opportunity for some amazing off-piste descents.
• A short hike up to Mickey’s Ears and a steep descent to Lac du Chevril followed by a heli-pickup. Unfortunately we can’t include the helicopter in the price of the course but for only 30 Euros it’s a chance not to be missed. Click for details
• Alternatively head across to Val D’Isere to the top of La Fornet Glacier. A short 30 minute hike and you can descend off-piste all the way to Bonneval Sur Arc. Ski the local lift system and catch the helicopter back to Val D’Isere with a drop off at the top of Solaise so you still have time for a final ski back across to Tignes and Brevieres. Cost: 130 Euros. Click for details
Back to the Auberge for a soak in the outdoor hot tub with a glass of wine followed by another amazing gourmet meal.
WEDNESDAY – PARADISKI
10 minutes from the Auberge and you’re in Villaroger with access to the biggest ski area in the world. What would you like to do today? Continue developing your skills to ski everywhere and begin putting those skills into practice with some easy off piste, bumps and steeper terrain? Or ski some amazing descents – how about these for starters.
• Head across to La Plagne, up to the top of the Bellecote Glacier then take the North face route off-piste to Peisey Nancroix.
• From the Grand Col chairlift a 20 minute easy hike to the Col followed by a magnificent north east off-piste bowl below the Aiguille Rouge and Mont Turia. A steep entrance followed by a magnificent off-piste descent to Villaroger.
• Col de Chal – A 1,100m off-piste descent to Peisey with a 5 minute bus ride back into the Les Arcs system.
A night off at the Auberge and instead an atmospheric night out at La Ferme in Villaroger (not included in price).
THURSDAY – ST FOY
Another day using the local lift system. For level 4′s this is the perfect opportunity to put all those skills you’ve been using to the test. The terrain in and around St Foy is perfect for introduction to off-piste, bumps and steeper terrain. For those looking for more off-piste experience you have the option of taking two classic off-piste descents in one day.
Take the top lifts and in one direction ski into the Fogliettaz and down to the village of Mazure. A minibus pick up, back round to St Foy and you still have time to do another classic route in the other direction down to the tiny summer hamlet of Monal. Time to ski on and off-piste using the local lift system the back to the Auberge for the customary tea and cakes and gourmet evening meal. Wonderful! Click for details
FRIDAY – FLEXIBLE
Today is flexible so we can go wherever the best snow is. The choice is ours – Rosiere, La Thuile, Tignes, Val D’Isere, Les Arc, La Plagne or St Foy. More work on developing performance on and off-piste or go for some more great off-piste routes including:
• Spatule – Val D’Isere Click for details
• Pisteurs Couloir (steep) – Val D’Isere Click for details
• Or many of the other routes in and around Espace Killy or Paradiski.
A farewell meal at the Auberge joined by the Snoworks Team of instructors.
For those taking the train, an extra days skiing in St Foy followed by a private transfer to Bourg St Maurice. If you’ve a flight to catch a private transfer to Geneva.
….and if all the above does not entice you then here are some comments from the last Safari:
Lovely, especially the gourmet food! Thank you so very much for looking after us so well. I particularly liked the drinks in the hot tub. Celia.
Let’s hope Snoworks runs the same course next year. I’ll be there. Charles
Superb week – lovely food, no, really exceptional food! Everyone so very helpful. Loved the hot tub. Anne
Great chalet and ski area. Friendly team. AWESOME WEEK. Martin
Wonderful week. Great food and company. Brilliant snow conditions and weather. Lets hope this becomes a regular Snoworks venue. Pat
Great chalet and staff who go over and above to make your stay even better. Thanks very much. Louise
Fab week. Great chalet, great food, great course, great people. Never been this well looked after before. Nick & Ian
A very relaxed atmosphere, extremely pleasant staff. Facilities great as was the food. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone! Alan
Very cosy, lots of lovely food and a great Snoworks course. Alan