NEW Steeps Ski Course For 2021
Welcome to the all new Steeps Course for 2021.
We recognise many competent off-piste skiers would like to push their boundaries a little more but just don’t have the opportunity. The all new Steeps Course is an extension of the Backcountry and Backcountry Access Courses where you can do exactly that, push yourself a little more whilst working with prevailing snow and weather to access steep terrain safely.
We’ve reduced the maximum number of each group to a maximum of 4. That allows everyone to move around the steeper terrain much more fluidly and allow the instructors to manage and coach the group in steeper terrain much more effectively. Of course having a maximum of 4 per group is reflected in the higher course fee but we believe it’s well worth it.
What Is Involved On A Steeps Course?
Steeps courses combine the best of both worlds. Development and experience. Not only will we lead you in the best available terrain for the prevailing conditions, we can also help you develop your skills for skiing steep terrain.
On this course we’ll help you develop your ability to:
- Cleanly and accurately change edges to initiate turns in steep environments
- Steer & control speed accurately in steep environments in varied conditions
- Select lines in relation to prevailing conditions and your skill level
- Control emotions and focus appropriately
From a safety aspect you’ll learn to:
- Negotiate steep terrain safely within a group
- Recognise hazards
- Arrest quickly when needed using a variety of methods
Along with all the other safety considerations when skiing off-piste:
- Companion rescue and emergency procedures
- Reading slopes
- Decision making
- Safe group management
- Using local knowledge
- FACETS click for more info
For more information on the safety aspects of off-piste skiing Click this link.
Interested in skiing steep terrain? You may like to watch:
Skiing Pisteurs Couloir in Val D’Isere
Skiing the North Face Aguille Du Fruit in The Three Valleys
Skiing Mickeys Ears in Tignes with heli pickup
• Specialist climbing or mountaineering equipment (ropes, crampons, ice axes) are not used on the Steeps Course to access itineraries.
• Itineraries on the Steeps Course are accessible using standard ski touring equipment (skins and ski crampons where necessary) or boot packing with skis attached to your backpack.
• Many itineraries are accessed directly from the ski lifts.
This course does not cater for skiers wanting access to ‘Steep’ terrain requiring the use of climbing equipment (ropes, boot crampons, ice axes).